Perpetual Access in Licenses

Houeida Charara posted today asking for how perpetual access to
subscribed content is allowed for in the contracts for e-journal
services. The relevant section from our standard ScienceDirect
academic contract is quoted below. These terms apply to titles
which are subscribed to, and there are limitations and
extensions:

Extensions: we have made, and are continuing to make,
arrangements to ensure that perpetual access is more broadly
based than just the ScienceDirect service. Apart from our own
very comprehensive internal service-continuity precautions there
is the deposition of the whole database with the KB eDepot
archive, plus participation in the Portico and CLOCKKS programmes
.Limitations: Some catgories of SD subscription (notably Web
Editions) do not provide perpetual access to non-subscribed
titles, and this is made clear in the agreement. We cannot
guarantee perpetual access to titles we publish for others but do
not ourselves own. If titles move to another publisher we make
our best efforts to ensure continuity of access, but are not in a
position to guarantee this in perpetuity.

Excerpt from licence text:

Formerly Subscribed Titles:

Upon termination of the Subscriber's license to ScienceDirect
online, the Subscriber may, at its option, (1) acquire, load and
technically format on a server that enables access and use by
Authorized Users through the Subscriber's internal secure network
an electronic copy of all or part of its Subscribed Titles for
the publication years paid (i.e., not for titles or years that
are added to the Subscriber's entitlement solely through the
Subject Collection(s), as identified on Annex B, provided that
the Subscriber defrays the costs of preparing the data set
sought, and/or (2) continue to access a such Subscribed Titles
online for an annual access fee based on the number of full-text
articles downloaded from such titles during the prior twelve (12)
months at a rate of ___ per download (adjusted annually for
inflation and cost increases), in accordance with the usage
provisions of the Agreement, which provisions shall survive the
termination of the Agreement.......If a particular Subscribed
Title is withdrawn by the Licensor or not renewed by the
Subscriber, but the Subscriber remains a ScienceDirect online
subscriber, the Subscriber may continue to access online, at no
additional charge, such formerly Subscribed Title, provided that
the Licensor continues to hold the electronic rights to the
Subscribed Title.

The full text of the licence can be found at:
<http://www.info.sciencedirect.com/licensing/samplelicense/sample_license_ac
ademic.pdf> Some option detail omitted from the above for the
sake of clarity.

Tony

Tony McSean
Director of Library Relations