RE: Suber's refutation of universities paying more for OA

It's important to keep in mind that while those OA journals that
don't charge publication fees represent a significant proportion
of all OA journal TITLES, they account for a much lower
proporation of all OA articles.

I did a quick analysis for the field of cell biology.  Of the 18
cell biology journals listed in the Directory of Open Access
Journals, eight do not charge publication fees.  However, many of
these journals publish only a handful of articles per year.
Four of the eight published fewer than 20 articles in 2005, and
all eight together published just 281 articles in 2005 -- less
than two-thirds the number that appeared in PLoS Biology that
same year.

While the no-fee journals make up a significant proportion of all
Open Access titles, they account for a much smaller proportion of
all OA articles.  The recent launch of several new PLoS journals
may further reduce the proportion of Open Access articles that
are published in the no-fee journals.

I'd question whether the no-fee journals, which operate largely
on a volunteer basis, can handle the volume of research output
that would be required in a truly Open Access environment.

Bill

William H. Walters, PhD
Assistant Professor of Librarianship
Collection Development Librarian