T&F versus SPARC Authors Addendum

A faculty member at Cornell recently asked me what the differences are between the standard transfer of copyright offered by Taylor and Francis and the terms of the SPARC Authors Addendum. I am curious if anyone else has done such an exercise, and if your results correspond with mine.

First, the Taylor and Francis copyright transfer is not the worst in the world. If you look at their copyright information page for authors at <http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/copyright.asp>, it is clear that they are sensitive to the issues associated with co-opting for themselves the intellectual product of authors, and they are trying to ensure that the author's retain some rights. Nevertheless, there are items in the T&F that seem to be better addressed in SPARC document.

Here are some of the things that the SPARC Author's Addendum offers, and my assessment of what the T&F agreement offers in comparison

1. Institutional Repositories

T&F allows you to put your final work into an institutional or subject repository, but only 18 months after an item has been published. With SPARC, you can do it immediately.

2. Use in teaching

SPARC guarantees you the right to make copies of your article for use in the classes that you teach.

T&F allows you to make printed copies for use in your teaching - so long as "such copies are not offered for sale or distributed in any systematic way." The latter phrase is often publisher-speak for course packs. It is unclear to me if T&F would allow you to distribute copies to all students in your class. Note as well that there is no mention of electronic distribution - only printed copies. Could putting a link in your syllabus to the article on your institutional repository be considered to be systematic electronic distribution, and hence a violation of the contract?

3. Teaching use by others at your institution or outside of your institution

SPARC guarantees the right to authorize others to use the article in teaching and research, both at your home institution and elsewhere.

T&F allows you to "facilitate the distribution of the Article" at your home institution - but only if the work has been "produced within the scope of an Author's employment." That language echoes the definition of "work for hire" in the Copyright Act (defined in the act as "a work prepared by an employee within the scope of his or her employment.") Copyright in a work for hire would belong to the University - and not to the Author - and so granting the University the right to use it does not seem to be particularly generous. Almost all faculty publications are not works for hire, however. I would read this clause, therefore, to mean that no one else at your home institution could have the right to use material. (Of course, other faculty could potentially point to the DSpace server - so long as T&F doesn't think that use is "systematic.")

As for authorizing others outside of your home institution to be able to use the article in teaching and research, that is not mentioned. You can share a copy with an external colleague, but your distribution cannot be systematic (and again, course use is often considered to be systematic). Outsiders can only ask T&F for permission to use your work.

4. Prepare derivatives of the work.

SPARC guarantees the right to modify and use the article in later articles, books, and other publications, without having to ask permission of the publisher.

T&F allows you the right to hand out copies at a conference; include the article in an unpublished thesis; republish the item without change in compilations of your own writings (but not in any other anthology volume); or expand it into a book. You are not explicitly authorized to write other articles that build on our expand on the work (though the information page cited above does claim that "Nothing in the copyright transfer agreement is intended to restrict an author's rights... to revise, adapt, prepare derivative works, present orally or otherwise make use of the contents of the article.")

5. PDFs

SPARC guarantees the right to receive from the publisher a PDF version of the article, as published.

T&F will not allow you to use the PDF they produce of the article.

As you can see, the differences between the two aren't huge, but they do exist. My biggest worry is what happens if other faculty start pointing to an article on an institutional repository, rather than making students purchase copies in course packs. Would T&F claim this is systematic distribution and force you to remove the item from the repository?

Thoughts?

Peter B. Hirtle
CUL Intellectual Property Officer and
IRIS Technology Strategist
Note New Mailing Address & Fax:
Instruction, Research, and Information Services Division
Cornell University Library
215 Olin Library
Ithaca, NY 14853-5301
pbh6@cornell.edu