RE: Suber's refutation of universities paying more for OA

Substitute PLoS Biology as a more realistic comparison to Cell,
tell your mathematicians to publish in the Princeton/IAS
supported Annals of Mathematics, and things look a little
different. I see it as the need for more excellent large OA
Journals, and for many small departmentally-produced excellent
ones. The first good ones stand as examples of what can be
accomplished.

Argument by carefully selected bad or good examples may be
effective forensically, but it is not a scientific approach to
the solution of problems. Other besides Phil have used such
arguments for various disparate positions --some with much
greater length and frequency-- and they do all make amusing
reading.

The cost problem is real, but perhaps we have been looking at it
too restrictively.  We discuss author-funded titles, but it was
never the intent that the author would pay personally. We've
sometimes said "paid on behalf of the author," and I think that
too falls short, for there cannot be expected to be one source
that will pay for all.  We should be meaning "paid at the
producing end, the part involving the author and the publisher
with editors as the intermediaries, rather than at the consuming
end, the part involving publishers, and readers, with libraries
as the intermediaries."

I hope nobody has seriously suggested that the practical model is
to transfer simultaneously all the necessary money from library
subscriptions to author fees. I recognize there have been
suggestions (many from BMC, in earlier years) that BMC could be
funded entirely by library memberships. Phil is correct that this
is absurd, and it was known to be absurd much earier than BMC
admitted it.

Rather, the suggestion ought to be that some of the money ought
to be available from the cancellation of library subscriptions to
remaining journals of extremely high cost, middle or low
prestige, and low use. It would hardly be fair to list a few
here, but see Bergstrom's <http://www.journalprices.com/> or
<http://www.econ.ucsb.edu/~tedb/> We want to preserve Cell and
JACS, but do we really want to preserve all the others?

Dr. David Goodman
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu
dgoodman@princeton.edu