RE: Posting vendors' PDFs

Dear lib-license participants,

I have followed this thread with interest, and thought it might
be helpful to add just a few words from JSTOR's perspective. Our
goal is to ensure the sustainability of the JSTOR archive while
pursuing broad access and use of the scholarly material we have
digitized.  This increasingly takes many forms -- direct use of
the material at www.jstor.org, re-use of material by scholarly
societies to produce readers or subject-specific websites, use of
digitized text by scholars, and posting articles written by
faculty in institutional repositories are all good examples.

In the past year, we have supported a number of requests from
publishers to provide copies of limited numbers of digitized
articles to institutions in response to permission requests they
have granted to those schools. Because publishers hold the rights
to their journals, institutions need to seek permission from them
or perhaps other rights holders depending on the specific
request. We are more than happy to consider institutions'
requests to post materials when rights holders have indicated
their permission.  Additionally, JSTOR is glad to provide
institutions directly with metadata and stable URLs to enable
them to link to materials in the JSTOR archive from their
repositories.

Should you have further questions about JSTOR's approach, please
do not hesitate to be in touch with us at support@jstor.org.

Best,

Mike

Michael Spinella