Re: Spider Activity Reports from Blackwell Synergy

We're starting to see more of these messages, not only from
Blackwell, though most seem to be coming from Blackwell.  In most
cases, we find that it does tie back to some sort of systematic
downloading and we duly investigate.  However, the increased
number from Blackwell makes me wonder if their thresholds are a
little low across the board?  As we all know, patrons /really
like/ electronic products and are using them more and more,
without crossing into abuse (normally); I think the thresholds of
some publishers do not recognize these levels of use.  We had one
situation where this was the case; what the publisher thought was
"regular use" for an institution of our size was below what the
real level of use was (the publisher raised their thresholds
accordingly).

Andrew Waller
Serials Librarian
Collections Services