Re: Spider Activity Reports from Blackwell Synergy

Yes. Blackwell is causing us a vastly disproportionate number of problems. We have received an apology from our sales rep for this nuisance.

For the rest of you, you might want to know that their initial announcement states the problem but they do not provide us with enough information (e.g. time of the incident or the journal title) to do any research at the exact moment (or even close to it) of the alleged abuse. The email informs us to contact their technical folks but (get this) our requests for further information have not been answered. As one of our librarians said:

"...the requests for more details are just going to a black(well) hole."

They appear to have a very overly sensitive machine but do not have the staff or systems to follow up with us. I hope they solve this soon and perhaps this dialogue will help speed that along.

Kathy
VIVA Director
c: Michael

Elizabeth R Lorbeer wrote:

I am trying to troubleshoot, again, a reported message from Blackwell Synergy regarding "spider activity" from my university's IP range. Our previous investigation showed no abuse on the part of our user - however we received another message that an IP range was turned off. It takes hours to troubleshoot and our IT logs can't find anything suspicious. Our license allows us to correct any abuse - however I am growing tired of not finding any problems on our end. Is anyone else having the same problem with Blackwell?

Thanks,

Liz Lorbeer
Associate Director for Content Management
Assistant Professor
Lister Hill Library of the the Health Sciences
lorbeer@uab.edu