The book is dead. Long live the book

The book is dead. Long live the book.
BuzzMachine, Jeff Jarvis:
http://www.buzzmachine.com/index.php/2006/05/19/the-book-is-dead-long-li
ve-the-book/

"I have nothing against books. But the book is an outmoded means
of communicating information. And efforts to update it are
hampered because, cuturally, we give undue reverence to the form
for the form's sake. Publish or perish, that's the highest call
of our intellectual elite. But any medium that defines itself as
a medium is in trouble: newspapers, broadcast TV, broadcast
radio, and books. They are all faced with new and better means of
doing what they do without regard to the limitations of any one
medium."

This whole blogpost and its followups are worth the read.

Chuck Hamaker
Associate University Librarian Collections and Technical Services
Atkins Library
University of North Carolina Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223