RE: Does BMC's business model conflict with Editorial Independence?

I don't know about journals, but I know in the normal publishing
business it is considered extremely unethical to make charges for
editorial work. You simply don't charge the authors for work that
needs to be done e.g. editing, production.  The only people who
would do this are vanity publishers. Money is supposed to flow
from the editors to the writers.  Personally, I think academic
writers should be charging journals for their writing rather than
simply giving it away to for profit publishers, but that's a
topic for another day.

The real problem here is that, once you start taking money from
outside sources e.g. drug companies you have compromised
completely your honesty and objectivity. You are no longer doing
objective scientific reason, but becoming a shill for the
corporations.  I don't disagree that people do have connections
with these organizations, but every (and I mean every) article
should have a full disclaimer of what connections (financial and
otherwise) that the writers and editors have.  Colleges and
universities should also require yearly statements of conflict of
interest that are publicly available. If I'm reading an article
praising a new drug I have a right to know whether the author has
a financial interest in promoting the product.