Re: Scanning licenses

Yes, I think ONIX will be very useful.  Our primary purpose for
scanning licenses is not for communicating licensing terms
(hopefully, our ERMS will handle that well), but to archive a
surrogate for a fully executed document that contains the
original signature of each party's legal authority.  That
signature becomes very important for auditors and others in
establishing the validity of, in particular, very large
contracts.  I think we all look forward to a tool that will
express licensing terms clearly, but will also have the
flexibility to accommodate for unique instances and substantial
narrative detail.

Curtis Lavery
Calif. Digital Library

"Sally Morris (ALPSP)" <sally.morris@alpsp.org> wrote:

I wonder whether readers of this list are aware of the project
'ONIX for licensing terms' which might make mere scanning of
licences unnecessary, by instead expressing in machine-readable
terms (rather, if you like, in the way that Creative Commons does
for its user licences) the terms and conditions of customer
licences for e-journals and other publications.  See
http://www.editeur.org/onix_licensing.html for more details

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK
Email:  sally.morris@alpsp.org