From: "Phil Davis" <pmd8@cornell.edu>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 1:27 AM
Subject: RE: Does BMC's business model conflict with Editorial Independence?

The authoritative stamp of editorial approval and the reluctance to publish low-quality articles only exists for prestigious journals. All academic fields contain second and third-tier journals, most of which are starving for manuscripts. Just look for journals that regularly combine issues, merge titles, fill issues with conference abstracts, feschrifts, or in the case of one British publisher, previously-published articles. Ask the editorial board members of these journals what their role is and they will tell you it is to solicit manuscripts. These journals don't have impact factors, and probably don't care too much. They exist as vehicles to publish articles that are rejected by prestigious journals.

None of the above description has anything to do with Open Access, and as Peter Banks and others have illustrated, many of the OA journals are starving for manuscripts as well.

The argument that there is a strong disincentive for accepting articles of low quality does not exist for most journals, whether they are Open Access or not. However, the danger of implementing a method of rewarding editors for simply the number of paying authors they attract (plus a system that punishes editors for accepting manuscripts from authors that cannot afford to pay), is to invite a system of 'vanity publishing' in the truest sense of the term. This again has nothing to do with Open Access. My principle concern remains that the BMC business model fails to meet the standards of the ethical organizations to which it belongs, including:

The Committee on Publishing Ethics http://www.publicationethics.org.uk/

The International Committee of Medical Journal Editors
http://www.icmje.org/

World Association of Medical Editors http://www.wame.org/

--Phil Davis
___________________________

Matt Cockerill wrote: "The concerns that you express ignore the core
function of journals, which is to convey an authoritative stamp of
editorial approval on research."

Neither BioMed Central's editors, nor BioMed Central, nor Public
Library of Science, nor any other open access journal publisher,
would advance their own interests by accepting articles regardless of
quality, since journals which cannot convey a meaningful stamp of
editorial approval will not attract submissions.

To take just one example, the BioMed Central journal which publishes the
*most* articles, 'BMC Bioinformatics', also has the highest impact factor
of any BioMed Central journal. More generally, the number of publications
in each of our journals is strongly positively correlated with impact
factor. So the idea that somehow quality and quantity tug in opposite
directions is misguided. Having a reputation for quality attracts more
papers.

Matt