Re: Dramatic Growth of Open Access

The vetting process doesn't appear very stringent. If you look at
the DOAJ journals, perhaps 25% publish sporadically. Among the 13
journals in Gastroenterology, for example, 4 have so far
published no new content in 2006. Others publish content of very
modest importance--for example, a paper like "Listening to music
decreases need for sedative medication during colonoscopy: A
randomized, controlled trial" in the Indian Journal of
Gastroenterology. This is not to say that there are no healthy
journals in the DOAJ mix, which clearly there are. It is to point
out again that the numbers of titles in the DOAJ by itself
doesn't signify much, one way or the other.

Peter Banks
Publisher

Starting June 1, my contact information is:
Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
10332 Main Street
Box 158
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone  (703) 591-6544
Fax (703) 383-0765
pbanks@bankspub.com

>>> sally.morris@alpsp.org 05/09/06 7:13 PM >>>
Interesting to hear that all journals are vetted before adding to
DOAJ. This manifestly was not the case when we ran our volunteer
survey last year - has the policy changed?  If so, I'm glad to
hear it

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK
Email:  sally.morris@alpsp.org