RE: Does BMC's business model conflict with Editorial Independence?

Phil,

BioMed Central's independent journal editors are, in general,
responsible for all aspects of administering peer-review on their
journal.

As an independent journal grows and publishes more research, this
effectively means the editors are each running a small editorial
office. Clearly, the costs associated with running that office
will tend to scale in proportion to the number of articles
published. This is why BioMed Central's payments to independent
journal editors are generally proportionate to the number of
articles pubished. That is the nature of open access publishing.

The suggestion that open access journal editors are conflicted
because their journal's revenue depends on article processing
charges is really just the same old suggestion that open access
journals in general are conflicted by article processing charges.
But as has been widely pointed out, if that is a conflict of
interest, then all journals with page charges have that same
conflict of interest. And since traditional publishers justify
subscription price increases based on the increasing page count
of their journals, traditional publishers too face the very same
potential conflict of interest.

See:
<http://www.biomedcentral.com/openaccess/inquiry/myths/?myth=integrity>

In fact, the stronger argument is in the opposite direction -
because open access journals are generally less reliant on
reprint revenue than traditional journals, there are many
potential conflicts of interest that they avoid.

See for example:
<http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pmed.0020138>

Matt Cockerill
Publisher, BioMed Central