Re: Institutional Journal Costs in an Open Access Environment

Good afternoon.

I have discovered and corrected a methodological error in my study that
has some bearing on the results.  I've posted the corrected paper -- the
version that will appear in JASIST -- at
<http://www.library.millersville.edu/public_html/walters/journal_costs.pdf>

The correction affects the total system-wide revenue estimates as
well as the results for the Equal-Revenue Model -- the model in
which total Open Access revenue (from all institutions combined)
is held equal to total subscription revenue under the current
system.

My original paper ensured that the Equal-Revenue assumption held
true *for my sample* -- a stratified random sample that includes
two or three institutions from each U.S. News & World Report
category (Doctoral Universities, Master's Universities, etc.).

The problem with the old version of the paper is that the the
sample does not reflect the true distribution of colleges and
universities among the various institutional categories.  The
sample includes three doctoral institutions and two master's
institutions, for example, although there are actually more than
twice as many Master's Universities as Doctoral Universities.
The aggregate revenue estimates must therefore be adjusted to
account for the actual number of institutions within each
category.  (The new, adjusted, revenue estimates are presented in
Table 4 and described on pages 11 and 12.)

In the old version of the paper I relied strictly on the sample
data, underestimating the relative number of small colleges --
institutions with low publishing productivity.  I therefore
overestimated the total (systemwide) PLoS-Model revenue and
consequently underestimated the amount that would need to be paid
by the research universities in order to "make up the
difference."

My general conclusions are not affected by this correction, and
the abstract for the paper remains the same as before.  There are
substantial changes in the quantitative results, however.
Specifically, I now estimate that within the four disciplines
included in the study,

-- the PLoS Model brings in only 15% as much revenue as the
Conventional Model -- not 28%, as reported earlier

-- a switch from the current pricing model to the Equal-Revenue
Model would increase the University of Michigan's costs by 237%
-- not 83%, as reported earlier

-- in general, institutions larger than Brandeis (about 1.1
million volumes) can expect to pay more under the Equal-Revenue
Model -- not institutions with more than 3.9 million volumes, as
reported earlier.

As several people have mentioned, these results are valid only if
we assume that all Open Access journals charge publication fees,
and that academic institutions are responsible for paying those
fees (with tuition money, grant money, government funding, or
some other source of income).

These corrections do not alter the main conclusion of the paper
-- that the wholesale implementation of either Open Access model
would reduce costs for the vast majority of institutions while
dramatically increasing the proportion of the total system-wide
cost paid by the major research universities.

Bill

William H. Walters, PhD
Assistant Professor of Librarianship
Collection Development Librarian