RE: Dramatic Growth of Open Access

Before any title is added to DOAJ it is careful and critical
expatiated and we do make sure that it lives up to all the
criteria's we list on the DOAJ site please see
http://www.doaj.org/articles/about#criteria and that the
definitions listed http://www.doaj.org/articles/about#definitions
are met.

This has been the case from the beginning of the Directory
nothing changed there. What has changed are some of the
procedures for communication with the journals and for
maintenance.

In the beginning titles where added to DOAJ based solely on our
examination of the title online. This is no longer the case, we
will not add a title to the Directory without communication with
the publisher/editor. And we will no longer add a title to the
Directory without an ISSN.

On the maintenance side we have allocated more staff and titles
are more frequently checked manually than they were when DOAJ
where first launched. The usage of DOAJ is increasing all the
time and the user group is very good at providing feedback if a
title is inaccessible/have changed URL/have changed from OA to
subscription based access (we see a few such examples)/or in some
other way no longer should be included in DOAJ. We appreciate the
feedback and all the help we get from the users to improve DOAJ
and to keep a high standard. Since May last year we have removed
80 titles from DOAJ.

Regards,

Lotte Jorgensen
Lund University Libraries, Head Office