RE: US Federal Research Public Access Act of 2006

I believe the term "Public" is used in the bill in its broadest
sense. This is not a flaw in its language.  The "Public" includes
researchers, academics, corporations, small businesses and, yes,
anyone who can access information online.  The whole point is to
make federally funded information available to all citizens, not
just those who have an affiliation with an institution that can
afford subscriptions.

It is arrogant and self-serving to think that only a scientist
would have an interest and the intelligence to exploit reported
findings. There is anecdotal evidence of average citizens
reading, understanding and fostering new avenues of inquiry based
on their study of the research literature.  One such individual
is Sharon Terry, founder of the Genetic Alliance
http://www.geneticalliance.org/ws_display.asp?filter=about_who_we_are_st
aff_sterry.  Her personal story of her struggle to gain access to
the research about her children's disease is an example of a
member of the "Public" who persevered and gained the expertise to
push the boundaries of science.

The "Public" also includes other sectors, including support to
USG initiatives such as the Small Business Innovation Research
Program. http://www.sba.gov/sbir/ "SBIR targets the
entrepreneurial sector because that is where most innovation and
innovators thrive. However, the risk and expense of conducting
serious R&D efforts are often beyond the means of many small
businesses... A major objective of the U.S. Small Business
Innovation Research program is to produce new high technology
products and services from federal research and development. In
the early years of the program, it was believed that very little
federal R & D would result in spin-off commercialized products
and services. The program, however, has produced a stream of
innovations far exceeding early expectations. It is now estimated
based on a continuing study of commercialization, that over 39%
of Phase II projects will result in a commercialized product or
service. These innovations cover the entire high technology
spectrum."

Finally take a look at "Scientific and Technical Information: a
Commodity or a Public Good?" By Harold M. Schoolman, U. S.
National Library of Medicine Published in the ICSTI Forum,
Quarterly Newsletter of the International Council for Scientific
and Technical Information, No30, April 1999
http://www.icsti.org/forum/30/index.html#schoolman . We've had
this discussion before.

Bonnie Klein