RE: Economics of open access publishing

David Goodman wrote:

"As Fred characteristically knows, but Phil uncharacteristically forgets, it balances only over the whole system, not for any particular journal or library."

In my advanced stage of senility, I must have even forgotten that I've made this argument myself! I have tried (and obviously failed) to eradicate our profession of a classic Fallacy of Division. Just because a change of state may be in the best interests of the system, does not necessarily mean that it is in the best interests of the parts. While a producer-pays model may be cheaper for all of science, it does not mean that it would be cheaper for each scientist or his/her institution. We now have three detailed studies that support this position.

I have never argued against the potential benefits to readers in a producer-pays OA model, and no self-respecting librarian would ever take such a contrary position -- at least in public. So why are we engaged in a prolonged debate over the findings of these three studies?

Sally Morris most patiently wrote: "Any change in pricing model tends to change the way in which different people pick up the tab. The problem is that models which are 'fairer', whether subscription, OA or anything else - i.e. those which load more of the cost on those who receive the most benefit and/or are most able to pay - will be unpopular with exactly those people. Publishers find this when trying to move to fairer pricing models too!"

Or, as Levitt and Dubner began their popular economics bestseller, "Freakonomics", "if morality represents how we would like the world to work, then economics represents how it actually does work."

--Phil Davis