RE: Economics of open access publishing

I'd like to expand further on Fred's first paragraph,
generalizing the arguments.

It will inherently be true, OA or non-OA, that for the journals
with the best articles, researchers at the major universities
will contribute articles costing more than the library cost would
be to subscribe. Phil Davis's Friday posting on this article
cited only high quality specialized journals at the foremost
research center in the world for that specialty--and for which
this condition holds true.

With lower level journals, researchers at the major universities
will undoubted read some articles, and perhaps even cite some,
but probably will not publish in.

At universities of a lesser rank, it's exactly the opposite: the
faculty will probably not be publishing in the first rate
journals, but will be reading them, and will publish in the
lesser journals.

This is true not just of rank, but of subject field. A biologist
might occasionally read an article in a predominantly
agricultural journal, but would not think to publish there.

I explained this in more detail with respect to one particular OA
journal, BMC Biology, at
<http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/ListArchives/0510/msg00066.html>

As Fred characteristically knows, but Phil uncharacteristically
forgets, it balances only over the whole system, not for any
particular journal or library.

Dr. David Goodman
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu