Re:: Institutional Journal Costs in an Open Access Environment

Janellyn's posting correctly illustrates the lack of close
relationship between the related subjects of Journal Pricing, and
Open Access.

I was discussing Open Access, and just Open Access as a system of
OA Journals, which is by no means the only way to do it-- and
certainly not the quickest.  I was explaining how one aspect of
it, the transfer of funds, was at least possible, for there are
those who think otherwise. I did not intend to show all the
possible variations.

With respect to journal pricing, such a potential change does not
have an effect on library renewals for 2007.

Any system of publishing will have difficulty in paying for the
journals with low use and high cost. Just as libraries are
vulnerable to prices charged for a journal, publishers are
vulnerable to library cancellations. Libraries with multi-year
contracts are helpless-- but only until the contracts expire.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
and formerly