Wellcome Trust wins First SPARC Europe Award

*Apologies for cross posting*

Press Release
April 24th, 2006

For more information, contact:
David Prosser, SPARC, david.prosser@bodley.ox.ac.uk

THE WELLCOME TRUST RECIEVES FIRST SPARC EUROPE AWARD FOR
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENTS IN SCHOLARLY COMMUNICATIONS

Lund, Sweden - As part of the Third Nordic Conference on
Scholarly Communication: Beyond Declarations - The Changing
Landscape of Scholarly Communication held in Lund, Sweden, the
Wellcome Trust was presented with the first SPARC Europe Award
for Outstanding Achievements in Scholarly Communications.

SPARC (the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition)
Europe initiated the Award to recognise the work of an individual
or group within Europe that has made significant advances in our
understanding of the issues surrounding scholarly communications
and/or in developing practical means to address the problems with
the current systems.  In making the Award to the Trust the
judging panel noted the Trust's truly groundbreaking work in
scholarly communication, from the commissioning of incisive
research into the market, through to the formulation and
implementation of clear policy in support of the widest
dissemination of the research outputs funded by the Trust.

Dr Mark Walport, Director of the Wellcome Trust said 'We are very
honoured to receive this award from SPARC Europe which recognises
our activities in the promotion of the 'open-access' model of
science publishing.  Ensuring that the outputs of research are
freely available and shared as widely and as rapidly as possible
is vital in order to facilitate the translation of research into
practical improvements in health.'

Dr Bas Savenije, Chair of the SPARC Europe Board, praised the
Wellcome Trust's 'major contribution in implementing strategies
for open access towards the widespread availability of research.
They have shown the way for funding bodies and we hope that
others internationally will emulate them.'

Following the success of the first Award, SPARC Europe has
decided to make this an annual event and it is expected that the
second Award will be presented at the CERN Workshop on
Innovations in Scholarly Communications (OAI5) to be held in
Geneva in 2007.

***

About SPARC Europe SPARC Europe is an alliance of 110
research-led university libraries from 14 European countries.
It is affiliated with SPARC based in Washington, DC, which
represents over 200 institutions internationally.  SPARC Europe
and SPARC work to develop and promote new models of scholarly
communication that increase the access to and utility of the
research literature.  SPARC Europe is located on the web at
www.sparceurope.org <http://www.sparceurope.org/> .

David Prosser
Director, SPARC Europe
david.prosser@bodley.ox.ac.uk