Re: Institutional Journal Costs in an Open Access Environment

Jan, you seem to assume that critics of a producer-pays system are categorically opposed to the argument that publishing is part of the research process, and thus should be paid out of grants or the author's pocket. I am not arguing about how publishing "ought" to be funded. I am simply providing evidence that authors are generally opposed to having to pay much (if any) to publish. If citing a journal in Physics is not enough evidence, let me provide more:

Late last summer I contacted your company (Springer) to find out how many authors had opted to pay the $3,000 to make their article OA. Their response: 5

In 2004, I polled every Cornell researcher who had published in Nucleic Acids Research in the past five years whether they were willing to pay the full costs of publishing (it was $1,500 at that time, now $1,900), which would allow the library to get out of subsidizing authors through subscription costs. The alternative was for the library to pay a "membership" cost which lowered author-rates to $500. None of the authors said that they were willing to pay the full amount but were willing to pay the reduced amount. $500 is comparable to the page charges levied by good society journals in the life sciences.

Now, funding publishing on the money my institution saves through using low energy light bulbs is a fantastic idea, although we already have them. I once argued that the money saved when individuals cancelled their personal subscriptions should be sent to the library so that it can help pay our institutional subscription costs. What do you think the likelihood of this happening?

-Phil Davis