From: Heather Morrison <heatherm@eln.bc.ca>
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Institutional Journal Costs in an Open Access Environment
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:37:15 EDT

There are two problems with this argument, in my view.

First, it seems that we are assuming that it would not be fair for universities with intensive research production to pay a higher share of the costs of scholarly communication.

Why shouldn't they pay more, though? Can we not assume that the research intensive university receives a higher portion of research funding than the less-research-intensive university?
--
Mark Funk
Head, Collection Development