RE: Why is there a need to post a list of OA articles?

Eric, I agree that access/rights metadata is very important, and
is not as easily available as it should be.

One source of access metadata that can be useful is that which is
provided by publishers (including some optional OA publishers) to
PubMed.

This metadata allows you to restrict a search in PubMed to only
include articles where PubMed has a link to a free fulltext.

e.g. a search for:

pnas [ta] AND free full text[sb]

finds all 83190 PNAS articles that have free fulltexts (including
both the latest optional OA articles, and the back archive)

Interestingly, because of PNAS's liberal policy on making even
the subscriber only content available free after a relatively
short embargo, the total number of PNAS articles that are
subscriber only is small at any one time:

pnas [ta] NOT free full text[sb]

finds only 1545 articles

Matthew Cockerill, Ph.D.
Publisher