Re: Institutional Journal Costs in an Open Access Environment

This quote from Walters' abstract is entirely intuitive and
plausible (emphasis is mine, JV):

"Because institutional disparities in publishing productivity are
far greater than institutional disparities in library holdings,
the shift from a subscription-based model to either Open Access
model would bring dramatic cost savings (greater than 50%) for
most colleges and universities. At the same time, a *small number
of institutions* -- the top research universities -- would pay a
far higher proportion of the total aggregate cost."

The question is: is it problematic if a small number of
institutions would pay more, particularly if they are the top
research institutes.

On a conceptual level, I would say 'no'. The 'publish or perish'
adage doesn't only apply to individual authors, but arguably also
to institutions However, they get more
visibility/recognition/prestige benefit for their share of the
financial contribution than less productive institutes (e.g.
education-oriented ones) who pay less. If one regards formal
publication as integral to doing research, and I do, the cost of
formal publishing is logically also integral to the cost of doing
research.

On a practical level, of course there is a problem.
Redistribution of cost is always painful to some, and redirecting
money streams is not easy and often very complex. Political and
power issues cloud the landscape as well. But productive
institutes on the whole also receive far more money in terms of
grant overheads (or similar) than less productive ones and thus
could afford a higher contribution.

Assuming that the total amount of money involved in the aggregate
remains the same, redistribution of costs has the important
academic and societal benefit of enabling full open access. Given
that the funders (mostly governments) inject this money into the
system anyway, this could be a winners-only game, the funders,
academia, and society as a whole being the winners.

Jan Velterop