RE: NFP publishing

Yes, the less well known journals have everything to gain by OA,
which will let their articles be seen and read, whereas most
libraries outside the country of origin would not previously have
had subscriptions.

The best and best-known journals will survive even without OA.
They are already seen and read at large. comprehensive research
universities and will continue to be.

But they have a great deal to gain as well: they will now be read
outside of such institutions.  This includes all people in their
broad field, wherever located, and all others who are interested.
Scientists should rejoice that those outside their subject are
interested-- that is how one obtains recruits and funding. There
are few if any fields that have no amateurs, as Wikipedia has
taught us.

The journals that do need to fear OA are those that nobody would
possibly read, although some libraries are fool enough to buy.
They have everything to gain from complicating, delaying, and
disputing about OA.

Peter, where do you think your journals stand?  I think they're
Exhibit A for the practicality of OA, but you seem to have less
confidence.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University