FW: NFP publishing

Peter,David,

I can confirm that open access publishers do receive a fair
number of significant reprint orders from pharma companies.

The Bethesda definition of OA:
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/bethesda.htm#definition is
actually explicitly framed to allow OA publishers to retain the
rights to large scale printing and distribution.

BioMed Central and PLoS, in fact, have a more liberal definition
of OA, which technically allows any kind of reuse and
redistribution, including large scale reprinting. But pharma
companies still come to us for reprints both because it is
convenient, and because in doing so they are supporting the open
access model (they know that if they did not pay for reprints,
then OA publishers might in fact switch towards a Bethesda model
of OA).

In terms of advertising:

In the print subscription world only a few high circulation
journals really have any scope for selling advertising. But
online, even small open access journals can generate incremental
revenue from online advertising. e.g. few if any of BioMed
Central's journals would have a high enough circulation to
support print advertising, but online they are collectively able
to deliver significant advertising revenue, which helps to keep
the cost of BioMed Central's article processing charges down.

Regards,

Matt

==
Matthew Cockerill, Ph.D.