RE: NFP publishing

If Exhibit A of the effect of OA on subscriptions is the
publications program of the Indian Academy of Sciences, I don't
think the jury will be convinced. The price of these journals is
extremely low ($100-$150 institutional/$30 or so individual). At
these prices (cheaper than the New Yorker) you can afford to get
the journal as a convenience for subway reading. Unfortunately,
no highly cited mainstream journal in the US or Europe could be
produced for these prices, so I don't think you can draw any
meaningful conclusion from this example.

As for advertising....advertising depends on exclusivity. You are
not selling a journal, you are selling exlusive access to a
unique readership. The advertiser can reach this market though
only one channel, the journal. The premise of OA is that
scientific content is NOT unique to a journal. It is in IRs, at
NIH, on Dr. Jones's home page, on AOL, wherever. Anyone and
everyone can ready it. Audit statements from ABC or BPA list the
average amount a reader has paid for subscription; from an
advertiser's perspective, the more paid, the better. The $0 under
an OA scheme isn't exactly what advertisers are after. The
editorially promiscuous aren't generally a prized audience.

Sponsorship poses the same problem. Selling anything demands
exclusivity; OA content is as exclusive as tap water.

As for reprints, you are correct that there may still be a market
for them, though a diminished one. Pharmaceutical companies are
not stupid--they know that something with the imprint of a
respected journal has more credibility than something they
themselves produce, which is discounted from the start as
self-serving. They will continue to support reprints, though will
less vigor now that a reprint is as close as the nearest laser
printer.

If you intend to prove me wrong on all four counts, you need to
come up with better evidence.

Peter Banks
Publisher
American Diabetes Association
Email: pbanks@diabetes.org

>>> david.prosser@bodley.ox.ac.uk 04/21/06 10:56 PM >>>
Peter writes:

>'OA would mean a loss of subscription, advertising, sponsorship,
>and reprint sales'

Would it?  Some open access journals are seeing increased print
subscriptions (e.g. those of the Indian Academy of Sciences). I'm
not sure we have much evidence on the advertising front, but
wouldn't an advertiser be as willing to advertise in a
high-quality online open access journal as they would in a
high-quality online subscription journal?

Sponsorship?  Well, a survey of the journals listed in the DOAJ
noted that less than half relied on author payments, the rest had
their costs met by sponsorship - either direct or indirect.  So
it looks like sponsorship is alive and well in OA.
(Interestingly, we are often being told that by relying on
sponsorship OA is not a 'viable' business model.  Now we are
being told there is no sponsorship in OA.  I'm afraid you can't
have it both ways!)

As for reprint sales, I have heard anecdotal evidence of OA
publishers being asked for reprints.  It may not be logical, but
there are pharmaceutical companies out there who would rather get
their 10,000 copies from the publisher than do it themselves. (If
any OA publisher would be willing to firm-up my anecdote with
firm evidence I would be grateful.)

So, in summary, I'm afraid I think you are wrong on all four of
your points.

Best wishes

David C Prosser PhD
Director