RE: Nature's new "post cancellation policy"

I was contacted by our NPG representative earlier this year
telling me about their new license and encouraging me to sign and
return it soon.  In addition, I've received numerous glossy
mailings announcing the change in policy.  They don't need a
signed license until the end of 2006, so I have not signed it
yet.  In the meantime, I'm hoping they will reconsider their
policy, and I'm glad to see some discussion beginning about this
issue.

As I understand it, the new policy will apply to new
subscriptions started with 2007, and subscriptions in place
before the end of 2006 will be grandfathered under the old
policy.  I was encouraged to consider ordering new subscriptions
before the end of the year to get the best value.  This sounds
like marketing hype to me (Have you noticed how much more and
aggressive marketing NPG has been doing over the past two
years?), but it also suggests to me that they have doubts about
their own new policy.

Again, as I understand the policy on new subscriptions, you get a
rolling 4 years + the current year, and if you want more than
that, you will need to license the backfile for the title, AND
each year purchase the one year to be added to the archive that
rolled off of your current subscription to that title.  (I.e.,
you purchase a new title to begin with vol. 1, 2007, then 5 years
later you remember to order the archive so you continue to have
access to vol. 1, then every year you remember to purchase the
year that rolled off to be added to the archive.  Imagine the
record keeping on all sides - library:vendor:publisher - and the
opportunities for system failure.)  As I pointed out to my NPG
representative, this is very similar to the model that was
abandoned by the American Chemical Society after 2005, and I
recommended they contact Adam Chesler at ACS for more details
about the ACS decision to change its subscription model.
According to my NPG representative, they reviewed the proposed
changes with the NPG library advisory council, and no one pointed
out any problems with it.

In my experience over the last few years, Nature has had problems
with the quality of their PDFs, accurate information about
subscription start/end dates, and access to current
subscriptions, and I have doubts about their ability to handle
two subscription models for as many institutional subscribers as
they have.  There are just too many IFs in their proposed new
policy to believe that access will be unaffected.

I have not signed the license yet, nor have I ordered any new
Nature journals.

Daniel H. Jones, M.L.S.
Librarian
Preston G. Northrup Memorial Library
Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research
Tel:  210-258-9426
Fax:  210-670-3313
Email:  djones@sfbr.org