New SPARC Innovator Program Recognizes Herbert Van de Sompel

For Immediate Release
April 18, 2006

For more information, contact:
Alison Buckholtz, alison@arl.org

SPARC RECOGNIZES HERBERT VAN DE SOMPEL FOR OUTSTANDING
CONTRIBUTIONS TO SCHOLARLY COMMUNICATION

New SPARC Innovator Program Acknowledges Individuals, Institutions, and
Groups Whose Actions Change the Status Quo

Washington, DC

SPARC (the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition)
has named Herbert Van de Sompel, who leads the Digital Library
Research and Prototyping Team at the Research Library of the Los
Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), as the first SPARC Innovator.
The SPARC Innovator program is a new initiative that recognizes
an individual, institution, or group that exemplifies SPARC
principles by working to challenge the status quo in scholarly
communication for the benefit of researchers, libraries,
universities, and the public.  SPARC Innovators will be featured
on the SPARC Web site each month.

Herbert Van de Sompel, the first SPARC Innovator, is the
initiator of the Open Archives Initiative (OAI) and the open
reference linking framework (OpenURL).  The Open Archives
Initiative develops and promotes interoperability standards that
aim to facilitate the efficient dissemination of content, and it
has had wide-ranging influence on a variety of other initiatives
within the open access and institutional repository movements.
To read more about Van de Sompel, please see the SPARC Innovator
Web page at <http://www.arl.org/sparc/innovator/>.

"Herbert is one of our leading thinkers on system architecture,"
said Clifford Lynch, executive director of the Coalition for
Networked Information (CNI), who has worked extensively with Van
de Sompel. "What's striking to me, however, is the extent to
which his work in this area is driven by his commitment to
improving information flow and information access within the
global system of scholarly communication.  This gives his work a
concreteness and focus, a validation and verification, that's
very important to its quality and depth."

"Herbert Van de Sompel paired a background in technology with a
vision of a new infrastructure for information. He brought
tremendous dedication and perseverance to the task of finding
support and making the connections necessary to see this vision
through," said Heather Joseph, SPARC Executive Director.  "He
used his intellect as well as street smarts to make the Open
Archives Initiative and OpenURL a reality, and both projects have
laid the foundation for research and scholarship to become
available to more people than ever before. Herbert's work on
global, digital workflow has advanced scholarly communication by
leaps and bounds, and his commitment to changing the status quo
makes him a worthy recipient of the SPARC Innovator award."

"I am thrilled to be the first SPARC Innovator, and I appreciate
the recognition from my peers enormously," Van de Sompel said.
"The one thing with recognitions like these is they tend to put
additional pressure on, like people asking what the next big
thing is you're working on.  I wish I had an answer; I don't
because one never really knows whether a thing is big until it
actually is. This recognition will help me to keep focus and
remain determined."

SPARC Innovators are named by the SPARC staff in consultation
with the SPARC Steering Committee.  Individuals can nominate
their colleagues as potential SPARC Innovators at
<http://www.arl.org/sparc/innovator/>.  Criteria include but are
not limited to a commitment to:

* Reducing barriers to access, sharing, and use of scholarship,
particularly in the scientific research field;

* Advancing the understanding and implementation of open access to
research results;

* Working to create a balanced scholarly communication system;

* Use of technology to develop alternative publishing and
communication solutions;

* Refusing to be constrained by the status quo and implementing
new and creative ideas that are backed by research;

* Vision of the library as a focus for and/or supporter of
change;

* The belief that individual actions can have a profound and
positive impact in the scholarly communication field.

A SPARC Innovator can be an individual, a group of people, an
institution, or another group that has been active in the areas
listed above.  Their actions may be broadly defined and may
include online activity (i.e., postings on listservs and Web
sites); on-campus programs and conferences; writing and editing
(i.e., articles and books); promoting awareness and activism
among others; and creating technologies and/or programs. There is
no monetary award for SPARC Innovators.

For further information, please see the SPARC Web site at
http://www.arl.org/sparc/.

###

SPARC

SPARC (Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition) and
SPARC Europe are an international alliance of more than 300
academic and research libraries working to correct imbalances in
the scholarly publishing system.  SPARC's advocacy, educational,
and publisher partnership programs encourage expanded
dissemination of research. SPARC is located on the Web at
http://www.arl.org/sparc; SPARC Europe is at
http://www.sparceurope.org.