Re: Question on journal use

The data you've asked about is something we try and collect on
our journals at the Ebling Library (health sciences) at the
University of Wisconsin-Madison. The definition of use that David
describes is also the same as what is used at Ebling. We value
those numbers only so far but one hope is that errors are
consistent across titles and that the scanning of barcodes as the
journal is reshelved is not biased towards any one title.

With that said, I can tell you that for the year 2005 the print
usage of our subscription title list at Ebling is 89,361 and the
online usage (that can be counted) is 1,131,575. I can tell you
that the online usage is low since there are titles that we can
not get usage statistics for and they are recorded as zero but
with an explanatory note. And, as we all know, not all publishers
are COUNTER compliant so it is very difficult to compare across
titles. We try and be as consistent as possible. I hope this adds
just one more tiny piece of info to your search.

Julie Schneider
Ebling Library University of Wisconsin-Madison