Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:37:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: alliance-er: Nature's new "post cancellation policy"

I received an email from our representative at Nature recently
regarding their new license agreement that includes a "post
cancellation policy" which will be effective as of 1/1/07. Here's
the gist of it:

"As we discussed, the journals that you currently have a site
license to will receive the maximum content benefit by being
grand-fathered into this policy.  Right now your site licenses
come with a large amount of archives, which you will never lose
if you cancel a title (however, there will be a minimum fee to
keep your access going); with our new policy customers are only
given 4 years of a rolling archive, and if you cancel, your
retained access only covers the years that you subscribed to.  I
am not sure if your budget allows, but I am recommending to all
of my customers that if you plan on adding a journal, or
switching journals from print to online, I would do so before the
end of this year in order to receive the most amount of archives,
and still have your archive coverage protected if you need to
cancel."

Has your library received this message from Nature, and what are
your thoughts about it? I am particularly disturbed, not only by
the approach they are using to "encourage" more online
subscriptions, but by the fact that we will no longer own the
content we paid for if we begin a new subscription to a journal
online after 1/1/07, but will only have access to a 4 year
rolling archive. Has anyone seen discussion of this new license
on any list-servs?

Joanna