Re: Question on journal use

There is some information on the use of printed journals. "Use"
in this case often defined as reshelving count. Volumes used as
headrests count as uses. The most extensive data that I know
being from Wisconsin, of which a sample is at
http://www2.lib.uoguelph.ca/systems/rdaehn/peruse/99SummUsage.pdf.

Data from the period during which OA journals were becoming
almost universal in science are obviously hard to analyze,
because one has to know for each journal in each library what was
available, and for what years.

For journals where both formats are available, rough estimates is
that online use is 2X to 100X higher. The even rougher estimates
for the unbound print issues show significant use only for the
expected JAMA, Nature, etc.

I did a little work on this, but have never published, because
the print figures were too low to analyze and I feel ashamed for
not having started before the transition when I could have gotten
a baseline.

If someone has trustworthy numbers, please let us all know.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
and formerly