RE: Dramatic growth of open access

Why is there a need to post a list of OA articles in our
journals?  All one has to do is go to the TOC for the journal and
one sees an open tag (or "lock") on articles that are open and
free for reading.  APS does that for articles for which the
author has paid an OA fee.  Should we also do this for articles
that become free after an embargo period?  Should we post a list
of those articles somewhere other than in the journal's TOC?  I
am proud of how we function as a publisher, providing access in a
timely manner, facilitating the needs of patients to access
content, and encouraging the development of the scientific
enterprise in developing countries through collaboration with
Hinari and Agora.

marty

Martin Frank, Ph.D.
Executive Director
American Physiological Society
9650 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20814-3991
Tel: 301-634-7118   Fax: 301-634-7241
Email: mfrank@The-APS.org
APS Home Page: http://www.The-APS.org/

>>> David.Goodman@liu.edu 04/13/06 7:41 PM >>>
I expand on Matt's remark about the difficulty of even obtaining
basic data.

It would be very useful if the publishers of journals with
occasional OA articles were to post lists of those published.
Asssuming that they engage in such a manner of publication in the
hope of providing at least some OA, they ought to want to display
their success.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University