New archiving deals guarantees enduring accessibility to University of Chicago Press Journals

With apologies for cross-posting.

For Immediate Release: April 12, 2006
Contact: Suzanne Wu / 773-834-0386 / swu@press.uchicago.edu

New archiving deals guarantees enduring accessibility to
University of Chicago Press Journals

The journals division of the University of Chicago Press has
signed a key archiving agreement with Portico, an electronic
archiving service launched last year with funding from JSTOR, The
Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, Ithaka, and The Library of Congress.
The agreement secures long-term preservation and ongoing access
to the University of Chicago Press Journals electronic content.

The University of Chicago Press has long been a leader in the
area of permanent e-journal preservation and an advocate of
publisher responsibility for digital archiving. By signing this
new agreement with Portico, the University of Chicago Press
further safeguards the research from its award-winning journals,
ensuring reliable access for generations to come.

"The agreement with Portico bolsters our commitment to our
readers and publishing partners that the highest-quality research
be made available to the widest possible audience - including
future scholars, researchers, and students," said Kate Duff,
Licensing & Permissions Manager of University of Chicago Press
Journals. "It is just one of several provisions we are taking to
ensure our electronic content is both preserved and usable in the
face of constantly evolving technology."

University of Chicago Press's collaboration with Portico
coincides with a recent matching grant from the Library of
Congress made to Portico. The three million dollar award from the
Library of Congress' National Digital Information Infrastructure
and Preservation Program (NDIIPP) will assist Portico in their
economic model and technical infrastructure building efforts. The
grant from the NDIIPP is part of Library of Congress' efforts to
achieve permanent archives of digital materials.

The University of Chicago Press was established in 1891, making
it one of the oldest continuously operating university presses in
the United States. The Journals Division currently publishes
forty-three leading journals and five annuals in the fields of
social sciences, humanities, biological and medical sciences, and
the physical sciences.

--
Suzanne Wu
Public Relations Coordinator