Re: What have Reed Elsevier to do with war industry and

Every phrase in the paragraph quoted demonstrates R-E's cynicism: > "The defence industry is necessary for upholding national > security, for the preservation of democratic values and > supporting the ever widening role played by the armed forces" To start, Whose national security? R-E is an international publisher, with authors and readers from countries that would take very different views on this. Even the individual stockholders of R-E might disagree. Continuing, just who decides what democratic values are? Different countries and people take very different views on this as well. Does R-E intend to judge? Do those whose business is arms intend to judge?. If there were agreement on these two points, and all nations were secure and all practiced the same democratic principles, there would be no need for an arms industry, let alone an information service for it. Concluding, The one correct phrase of R-E is that there is an ever widening role played by the armed forces. Honourable people therefore draw the conclusion, that it is to the long-term best interests of all, for all of us to try to diminish it, not profit by it. Dr. David Goodman Associate Professor Palmer School of Library and Information Science Long Island University and formerly Princeton University Library dgoodman@liu.edu dgoodman@princeton.edu Please note that I do not post this because of my personal views on any current political issue. Were they the opposite of what they are, what I wrote would remain correct.