RE: OA Now

David,

I don't know whether you were actually quoting Twelfth Night, but
there is no doubt that Some journals are born great. Some achieve
greatness.

The question is whether it is possible for any to have greatness
thrust upon them. The reason I think it is, is that the circle
you describe need not be passive and can move to OA.  I don't
think anybody suggests that OA by itself will improve things but
if prospective authors, editors of toll-access journals, others
who think the toll-access journal is good agree to move
everything to an OA journal then it could be done. If the
movement were well organized then the NIH study section which
includes membes of his circle would recognize the journal of high
quality and nobody would fear for the fate of their grant
renewal.  Why should anybody do this?  Only if they think access
is important.

In a previous discussion, I thought the major motivation would be
if they generalized the inconvenience they had in accessing other
journals to the global need.  The argument was made on the list,
however, that some patients actually look to the original
literature for help and this is a group that might not have
access to even big journals.  I think this is a small fraction
but was convinced by posts in the list that they should have
priority and so we should have some dedication to them.

Now this is at the high end.

However, big publishers do not entirely run on high end journals,
or more precisely broadly based journals.  The proliferation of
journals has much to do with special interest journals.  The
service that big publishers offer is to provide a journal for the
400 workers in something serious but of narrow focus, say
crustacean appendages (making this up). If everybody in the field
subscribes and a number of institutions in marine biology
subscribe, this brings in a significant if not huge amount of
money.  The journal Claw now provides a service but also
guarantees that nobody working in somewhat distant fields, say
invertebrate physiology will have easy access to a discovery on
the periphery of their field.  What was historically a service
becomes a disservice.  The whole operation could be done within
OA, with the same flow of money except some savings on corporate
profits and the need to print and mail bound copies to
subscribers.  It requires some initiative and cooperation and
organization among the 400 workers in the field (and the
librarians at the marine biology institutions).  This is a real
example, the names have been changed.

Regards, RF