j' insiste

The question I was discussing was the unique feature from the
perspective of potential authors where the unique reputation of a
journal is based on previous publications and the reputation of
the editorial board.  My point was that the editorial board of a
subscription journal has to decide if a committment to wider
availability of information includes a consideration of the cost
to libraries and whether they can take the chance of moving to a
new or existing journal that helps in providing wider access and
relief to libraries.

But as long as you mention it, these are the people that will be
called on to take risks.  Similarly, the start-up editors of OA
journals who take time away from their research to try to improve
things put a certain amount on the line.  Nobody doubts that the
owners of Academic Press are wild and crazy guys but there are no
bankruptcy laws to protect academics who redirect their careers.
And my understanding of American business is that you don't
really get rich until you are bankrupt.  Anyway, for companies,
isn't BMC taking a bigger risk than big publishing houses but,
again, this is not the question for authors and the ultimate
reputation of the journal.

Look, this is a unique moment.  Peter Banks and I agree on
something: "more access to scientific information..." is a
"...perfectly reasonable drive."  Part of his argument that this
does not require open access is that 4 major diabetes journals
successfully provide a high degree of access.  Peter has said
this before but I have never been able to figure out whether this
is an argument against or for OA.

The advantage of open access is that it is not mutually exclusive
with other forms of publication if they also provide a service.
Everybody knows this.  You can say it will be hard to develop a
way to make open access pay but after all the emails, name one
argument that is not financial for providing availability of
scientific information that holds water at all.  Capitalizing on
this advantage will involve big changes, will demand difficult
thinking outside the box and will be very risky indeed.  Surely,
you agree with this, Joe.

Richard Feinman
___________________________

"Joseph J. Esposito" Sent by: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
03/29/06 08:11 PM
Subject: Au contraire

Richard Feinman wrote:

> Since the unique feature of individual journals is the
> editorial board that can be paid from any source,

JE:  This is incorrect.  The unique feature is the investment,
the initial risk that gives rise to the enterprise.  Without
risk, nothing.  If you want to see the future of scholarly
communications, look for the people whose chins protrude far
ahead of their bodies.

Joe Esposito