Re: Open Access Advantage (or Not!)

There is another issue here. The literary act of 'citation' is
not a simple matter. A citation may be offered for very many
distinct reasons. Not all of them are reducible to the matter of
'authorial indebtedness' or even to 'correcting previous work in
the area'; since citations are often produced to help the reader
by pointing to background information or a simple explanation of
a related issue..

There may well be an 'open access advantage' for citations which
are open and publicly accessible through the web when a citation
is being offered primarily to assist the reader with the
provision of background information etc.Especially when that
reader is likely to be using the web. I dare say we have all
noticed the increasing tendency for wikipedia to be cited in
web-based writing. There is a clear 'open access' advantage for
citations to open access sources which need to be available to
the reader-in-general. Affordability is pretty much irrelevant --
obstacles to access are relevant. Ease of access for the author
may not be as important as ease of access for the reader.

BTW -- am I alone in finding *excessive* citation of wikipedia a
rather trying development?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illocutionary_act

Adam