OA Now

I had previously asked if libraries would pay for books that
contained articles that had previously been published on line.
This came from my immediate problem and I think distracted the
list.  It led to my realization, which I guess everybody knew,
that whereas individual sales of books are helped by online
publication of the content, sales to libraries are not.  The same
is true of technical journals.  The fact that scientists would
subscribe to Nature and Science even though they have online
access through their institutions is irrelevant to publishers who
are supported by library sales. Individual sales apparently are
gravy.

The question finally evolved to the important question as to
whether a library would subscribe to a journal whose content was
on-line and the conclusion was generally no although there would
be some exceptions (oddly, like Science and Nature).  I think it
is obvious but the current paradox is that libraries are forced
to do this although in a time-dependent manner, that is, after
three-months the diabetes journals, for example, are on-line even
though libraries had previously subscribed.

I know I am saying the obvious but the bottom line is that
libraries are supporting a model that they would not normally
support if they didn't have to.

So, the questions I see are

1. Does a library have the right to ask for an accounting of how
this money is spent?  If not, should it not seek a publisher who
would give such an accounting?

2. What is the source of library funds?  Do these funding sources
have the right to ask for an accounting of how this money is
spent?  If not, should they not ask the library to seek a
publisher who would give such an accounting?

The question then is competition.  Since the unique feature of
individual journals is the editorial board that can be paid from
any source, shouldn't members of editorial boards move to
journals that can offer libraries accounting of how funds are
spent.  If the online journals can be produced for less money
with the same editorial board shouldn't that journal be
encouraged.

How could this be done? A coalition of librarians, editors and
end-users could demand that existing publishers do this or could
move operations to an existing journal.  In other words, the
prestige of a journal is dependent on the collective opinions of
end-users, authors, reviewers and editors (many of whom are the
same people).  A group decision to define an OA journal as the
premier journal in a field is within their power. Journals that
refused to compete would be avoided by this group.

When could this be done?  How about now?

Richard D. Feinman, Professor of Biochemistry

(718) 871-1374
FAX: (718) 270-3316