Nature's Connotea tagging of OA articles in Eprints

             ** Apolgies for Cross-Posting **

This item is from Peter Suber's Open Access News
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2006_03_19_fosblogarchive.html#114278926660782258

More on Connotea tagging of OA articles in Eprints

Timo Hannay, Linking Up Research Papers Using Tags, You're It!
March 16, 2006.
http://tagsonomy.com/index.php/linking-together-the-academic-literature-with-tags/

Excerpt:

"Back in my first post to this blog,
<http://www.earlham.edu/index.php/introduction-timo-hannay/> I
said that over here at Nature <http://www.nature.com/> we're
interested in the question of "how far tagging can take us in
tackling the (formidable) information organisation needs of
modern science." Today we're starting on a cool (I think) new
experiment that might help provide some early answers.  Many of
you are no doubt familiar with Matt Biddulph's wonderful mock-up
<http://www.hackdiary.com/archives/000067.html> pf the BBC Radio
3 website as it might work with embedded <http://del.icio.us>
functionality. (See in particular Matt's Flash movie here.)
<http://www.hackdiary.com/misc/firefox-delicious-demo.html>

"Inspired by this, we've just released some code
<http://www.connotea.org/taggingtool> that adds the same type of
functionality (but this time for real) to 'institutional
repositories' (IRs) - websites that scientists and other
academics use to share their work with each other.  One general
problem with IRs is that, notwithstanding services like Google
Scholar, a lot of their content isn't very easy to find, and it
certainly isn't easy to browse between related items in different
repositories. Our new code aims to improve things by allowing IR
users to tag articles and see links to related content, all from
within the IR web page itself. Behind the scenes, the software
communicates with http://del.icio.us and/or Connotea (Nature's
own social bookmarking service for scientists).
<http://www.connotea.org/>

"Since Connotea is open source, it will also work with any
instance of Connotea Code. <http://www.connotea.org/code> The
good folks at the University of Southampton's Electronics and
Computer Science Department have now put this code on their
institutional repository, <http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/>
creating our first real-world installation (yeah!)....

"The recommendations (which are generated based mainly on tag
co-occurrence) already seem OK to me, but they should get better
as more links and tags get entered into the system.  There's lots
of different IR software out there, and our code currently only
works with EPrints, which we chose because it's very popular, is
written in a language (Perl) that we're familiar with, and has a
friendly development team just down the road from us.
<http://www.eprints.org/>

"If you're the administrator of an EPrints repository then you
can get instructions and code from here.
<http://www.connotea.org/taggingtool> I'm told that it's a doddle
to install."

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2006_03_19_fosblogarchive.html#114278926660782258