Re: Does the arXiv lead to higher citations and reduced publisher downloads?

Stevan Harnad wrote:

"The full text of Phil Davis's paper is not yet accessible, so I can only respond to the abstract...."

The fulltext of the article is available, and I urge those who have knee-jerk reactions based on the abstract alone to please read the article. I agree that this article challenges the central orthodoxy that Open Access causes more citations. Based on our analysis, we found that a quality differential is a more plausible explanation -- the reason why arXiv-deposited articles receive more citations is simply because they are better articles, not because of some advantage conveyed through increased access. If Open Access can explain the citation advantage (and we did confirm one), it is only responsible for giving an advantage to already highly-cited articles.

Does the arXiv lead to higher citations and reduced publisher downloads for
mathematics articles?
Authors: Philip M. Davis, Michael J. Fromerth
http://arxiv.org/abs/cs.DL/0603056