Sent: 09 March 2006 23:07
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Reply to David Prosser

David Prosser wrote:

"Finally, I wonder if I was the only person who, after reading
Newton's ill-informed and (in my view) wrong-headed piece, felt a
greater desire to boycott Bloomsbury than Google?"

Nigel Newton is the publisher of Harry Potter and is probably the
single individual on the planet who has done the most to bring
books into the lives of children.  I was disappointed in his
column (which I would characterize as right-headed but
ill-informed), but let's not be stinting about his
accomplishments.  There are other parents on this list besides me
who had the extraordinary experience of waiting outside a
bookshop at midnight, the streets thick with kids dressed as
witches and warlocks, waiting to buy a book.  A book!  Not a
movie, not an iPod, but a book!

Joe Esposito