Survey on literature use

I thought the list might be interested in a paper I am currently
writing based on the results of a survey of an online support
group of low carbohydrate dieters, The Active Low-Carbers Forum (
http://forum.lowcarber.org/ ).  Although the primary focus of the
study was the behavior and attitudes with respect to nutrition,
we also asked about ?sources important to you in selecting a diet
and in understanding nutrition in relation to your diet.?  The
results (below) are as expected for a group following a strategy
generally considered outside of the mainstream of recommended
medical and nutritional practice, that is, they did not put much
stock in official sources.  However, half of the 3,168
respondents said that they felt that original scientific
publications were somewhat or very important.  On the question of
access to the scientific literature, this sub-group had the
opinion:

* Generally inadequate access (important articles not accessible):
   360 (20%)
* Adequate (was able to see most articles I wanted): 1085  (61%)
* More than adequate (could not read everything that was
   available): 322  (18%)

The respondents were mostly significantly overweight women and
access to the survey required joining the forum so it is a fairly
serious group. However, we did not distiguish professions, so an
unknown number of academics (including me) who would have
professional interest in the original literature is included.
(I believe I checked Adequate although I think adequate is not
good enough for professional science).

Source
Not important
Somewhat important
Very important

Popular books
24
40
37

TV or other media
71
24
5

Manufacturers websites (Atkins, etc)
35
40
25

Private health associations (ADA, etc)
74
20
7

Online support forums
10
29
61

Government websites/publications
76
19
4

Original scientific publications
50
34
16

Anyone interested in the results can see our preliminary report (first
author:  Mavropoulos) at http://www.nmsociety.org/postersdisplay06.htm

Richard D. Feinman, Professor of Biochemistry