[no subject]

From: lamours@email.unc.edu
To: liblicen@pantheon.yale.edu
Subject: Alternatives to licensing

[MOD NOTE: See also the "short form" license on the LIBLICENSE web site, at: <http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/modlic.shtml>

*****

I wonder if you could post the following survey for me.

(Please excuse cross posting)

I'd like to invite you to participate in a very brief survey on licensing:

Librarians - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=684101858013

Publishers http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=74911857394

The survey should take only 5 to 10 minutes. There are two sections: a 9-question section for Librarians, and a 7-question section for Publishers. The deadline for completion is Friday, March 17, 2006.

Results will be discussed in the session "Alternatives to Licensing: Re-Imagining Agreement" presented during the upcoming Electronic Resources and Libraries Conference (March 23-25: http://www.electroniclibrarian.org/conf2006/schedule.htm)

Judy Luther, of Informed Strategies, and I have been in conversation with publishers and librarians about the feasibility of developing a Best Practices document that could, at least in some circumstances, substitute for a site license. This short survey is designed to provide some background information on how libraries and publishers regard licenses, and how much of a bottleneck to access licensing might be.

We hope you are able to take a few minutes to complete the survey. If you have a continuing interest in the topic, we invite you to contact us and join in the conversation.

-Selden

Our Contact Information:

Judy Luther MLS, MBA
www.InformedStrategies.com
610-645-7546 EDT

Selden Durgom Lamoureux
Electronic Resources Librarian, Acquisitions Department
CB#3938, Davis Library, University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27514-8890 U.S.A.
phone: (919) 962-1067 Fax: (919) 962-4450
email: Selden_Lamoureux@unc.edu
url: http://www.lib.unc.edu/acq/