re: R & D and Library Spending

I'm sorry, Heather, I did mean you. In a post entitled 'The
religion of peer review' you wrote "The current approach has also
led to the serials crisis. If this was developed through
scientific methodology - someone must have forgotten a variable
or two. Such as the fact that raising prices every year higher
than library budgets could conceivably rise would lead to a
crisis, for example."

I admit to jumping a step (or two) when I concluded that you
didn't find it conceivable that budgets rise with R&D spending,
where you only said you'd find it inconceivable that they rose
with price increases. Apologies for that. Yet price increases are
most often the consequence of increases in number of papers
published and that is most often the result of increased research
being done and that is most often the result of increased
research spending. The point I tried to make is that open access
publishing sustained by article processing charges would provide
for the costs to Academia of research publications (not
necessarily library budgets) scaling much more naturally with the
research effort (read: number of papers published) than any
subscription model. The Wellcome Trust and Howard Hughes Medical
Institute have got it right, in my view: they define publishing
as integral to research and thus the cost of publishing as
integral to the cost of doing research.

The arguments you are making now all seem to point to desired
budget increases higher than the increase of R&D spending instead
of lower. I have no issue with that.

Jan Velterop
___________________

Heather Morrison <heatherm@eln.bc.ca> wrote:

Jan Velterop wrote:

"Heather finds it inconceivable that budgets rise in line with
the production of scientific literature and yet the production of
scientific literature is, broadly, a direct consequence of
spending on R&D."
http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/ListArchives/0603/msg00000.html

I'm not sure which Heather Jan is referring to, or if it's me,
what I might have said that could be interpreted this way, but
just in case it is me, here are my thoughts on the subject of
library budgets and R & D spending. Please note that I have no
opinion on current U.S. R & D spending, and am very glad to see
others investigating this topic.

In brief, my answer to whether there is - or should be - a
correlation between R & D spending and library budgets,
particularly serials budgets is: no, and yes.

The reason I would suggest that there should be no direct
correlation between R & D spending and library budgets is because
needs for library funding are ongoing and independent of research
funding, and predate research grants. Picture, for example, a
brand new university, hiring new staff, none of whom have any
research grants yet. The university will need to develop a
library; the researchers will need to use the library in order to
develop proposals for research grants. When the grants come in,
it absolutely makes sense to consider further investments in the
library. However, this correlation should not be direct, as the
preexisting library investments need to be taken into account.

For example, if the library already subscribes to the "big deals"
of all the big science publishers, it makes no sense at all to
purchase more of the big deal when a research grant is received.

On the other hand, using additional research grant monies to
invest in other areas would make a lot more sense. For example,
universities need to develop institutional repositories, and, in
particular, the kinds of repositories that can handle open data
and other enriched information resources that go beyond
traditional publishing.

There were some excellent sessions at the OAI4 conference on open
data and e-research - see especially the sessions by Peter
Murray-Rust, Liz Lyons, and Hans Pfeiffenberger; links can be
found at: http://tinyurl.com/8r7kt

Other areas for library expenditures that might make sense for
the big deal libraries include reinvesting in the works of the
smaller society publishers whose works may have been cancelled in
order to purchase the big deals, catching up on monographs
purchases, library service investments (e.g. to pay for any
additional information literacy, research, or interlibrary loans
services that the new research projects may required). This could
also be a good opportunity to use the funds for the preservation
efforts which ARL has defined as a current priority.

Of course, for the library which does not yet have the "big
deal", using the additional funding from research may be a way to
afford the big deal as well.

Heather Morrison
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com