RE: FW: R&D spending and library spending

Jan:

>From what I know (I'm not in an ARL library) definitions of what
expenditures to count where (or not) have been in a state of flux
and might be counterintuitive at times. The same title in print
and electronic could be counted as 2 titles if I understand
definitions correctly-they might be part of the same subscription
i.e. Print + plus-e) or the plus could be in a secondary
aggregator database) or 3 titles with another format (microform).
And who pays for it can also create another wrinkle in counting.
(state payments for example, shared payment consortia, etc.)

To give an example from my library (we report using ASERL
statistics with definitions based on ARL definitions) the cost of
Science Direct this past year was two components, a serials
prices component and what might be called an electronic resources
component (actually we have 3 components, but that's another
story). That second component (a percentage of the base serials
price) is in our internal accounting NOT a serials cost, but a
database cost. How we report Science Direct costs (which
category/categories) will change if we move to all electronic as
far as I understand at the moment.

The increases in our expenditures for databases over the last
five years have been phenomenal, and part of that is due to
publisher fees for electronic access-some of this is the big deal
effect. We are seeing overall "expenditures" for print serials
decrease or remain essentially flat under this accounting, but we
know that's not the case overall for dollars paid to publishers
for their products.

For some serials where the cost for e-format is additional, we
see an increase in "serials" costs. But if we go all electronic
with a publisher and see a percentage decrease, that could end up
as a decrease in serials expenditures, depending on definitions
or an increase in database expenditures- I think. (I don't do our
statistics and that might be displaying my ignorance more than
anything else).

Expenditures for Elsevier, Wiley, Springer, etc could be treated
differently depending on the deal and skewed by not including
additional e-resource fees in serial expenditures that may be
"add ons" as "serial expenditures" or could be seen as a decrease
in a serials publisher's prices (moving to the database category
for example and out of serials) depending on how the deal is
structured. AT least that's my understanding at the moment. I'm
subject to correction by the experts and I hope anyone who
understands all this better than I do will speak up. And
definitions may be changing as we discuss them.

For the last few years I think the indicator of pricing patterns
in serials is probably best measured by the Lee Van Orsdel and
Kathleen Born's series in Library Journal. For the most recent
(April 2005) see: Choosing Sides--Periodical Price Survey 2005
http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA516819.html

Chuck Hamaker
Associate University Librarian Collections and Technical Services
Atkins Library
University of North Carolina Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223
phone 704 687-2825