RE: Question about open access and print

National Academies Press' has claimed since 2001 that providing
free online versions of their books has had a positive impact on
print sales. As far as I know there haven't been any definitive
economic impact studies on the issue though.

http://chronicle.com/weekly/v48/i03/03b02401.htm
>From the issue dated September 14, 2001

Academic Press Gives Away Its Secret of Success
By MICHAEL JENSEN

It's been a bad year financially for nonprofit publishers,
according to most reports. High returns from inventory by
booksellers closing their doors or trimming their stock, combined
with sagging sales of what are considered discretionary products
in a slowing economy, have forced many nonprofit publishers to
rethink their plans and budgets. Even some of the largest and
most well-known university presses are whispering about deficits.

So it's almost embarrassing when I tell colleagues that the
National Academy Press is on track for a record year in book
sales. And it dumbfounds them when I mention that we make every
page we publish in print available online -- free.