RE: Question about open access and print

I sometimes purchase (for my library) books that consist of articles previously published online, given at a conference, published in a journal, etc. My reasoning is that I can't control longterm access to the material online--conferences' and publishers' sites come down, links change, older material is moved to make way for newer items--but I can control my physical collection. So, if the topic is relevant and important enough to be useful for our patrons, I do purchase a hard copy to keep in the collection to ensure access. --

Elizabeth "Libby" Feil

Reference Librarian and Assistant Manager
Local History & Genealogy Room
Reference & Information Services Department
St. Joseph County Public Library
304 So. Main Street
South Bend, IN 46601

574-235-4181