RE: EPA Set to Close Library Network and Electronic Catalog [PMC and digital preservation thread]

Federal stewards of government information share the concerns of
the library community.

Government agencies are actively sponsoring and engaging in a
number of initiatives to enable permanent public access to the
information in their custody.  Examples include NDIIP
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/, Sec 108 Study Group
http://www.loc.gov/section108/, the Interagency Committee on
Government Information http://www.cio.gov/documents/icgi.html and
CENDI http://www.cendi.gov/proj_dig_elec_arch_new.html.

Government information stewards do not place trust in any single
method nor want to be the sole repository.  We know all too well
funding can be cut or totally eliminated depending on politics
and priorities. However, government is not alone in facing an
uncertain future. I have seen this happen in state government,
academic institutions and corporations. The commercial publishing
and A&I industry faces the challenges of changing markets,
mergers and acquisitions, and financial downturns.

Libraries, no matter what sector, are seen as expendable
administrative overhead. We are easy targets for short-sighted
managers looking to reduce spending and demonstrate immediate
cost savings.  These managers do not understand the value of
information nor care about the return on investment. In the end,
gutting library and information services winds up costing the
organization more.  Take a look at the Nov 2005 findings and
recommendations of the EPA Library Network WorkGroup
http://www.peer.org/docs/epa/06_9_2_library_network.pdf. They
tried.

Bonnie Klein