Re: FW: R&D spending and library spending

Dear Chuck,

Interesting figures, and I'm pleased I was wrong with regard to
the ARL serials spending increases in the period of 1986-2001.

However, looking at the more recent period of 1998-2003, for
which I quoted the R&D spending increases, the ARL figures show
something that is perhaps a bit puzzling.

R&D spending went up by an average of 9.15% each year; ARL
serials spending by an average of 7.16% each year; Average unit
price for serials went up by an average of just under 1% each
year; And the number of serials subscribed to by an average of 5%
each year.

Now, where has the 'serials crisis' gone (at least for the ARL)?

Jan Velterop

PS. Toby Green is absolutely right to point out that these
figures, and the original graph that makes the comparison with
general price indices, are of very limited value if they aren't
taking global funding, spending, inflation, cost developments et
cetera into account.